Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default A couple of questions regarding tops and grinders

"Kevin" wrote in message
oups.com...

When making a bowl/box with a top, is it more common to make the top
to fit over the outside of the bowl/box [think bottle of pop] or to
fit on the inside [think whisky cork]? I've gone both ways and about
the only two differences I can see would be appearance and perhaps,
use.
As to grinders, is there any reason I couldn't just place it (standard
2 wheel grinder) back up close to the wall. Can y'all think of any
reason one would need the space behind?

Making a top that fits down inside a piece - the cork you mention, fools the
user into thinking there's depth he doesn't have. Of course, you can also
hollow the top, leaving only the rim to fit down, which I often do. It's a
matter of taste beyond that observation. I mostly fit a tenon from the
bottom into my tops, but it's because my habit is to fit the bottom to the
top whose inside is already finished, then use the bottom to "chuck" the top
for final and finial. Don't have to take the bottom out of the chuck that
way.