Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

"kony" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 00:59:34 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Agreed, but only if in native resolution, as others have said, and only if
what you are viewing is standing still. Even with the fastest LCD panels,
motion blur is still a problem, although probably more noticable at the
lower resolutions offered by 'standard' TV transmissions displayed on
standard LCD TV sets.

Have you seen significant motion blur on a current
generation smaller LCD? It seems everyone is upsizing which
offsets the improvements being made.

Well, certainly on LCD TV sets, yes. Oddly enough, I was looking at just
that in a store last night. They all had a studio-based news broadcast on
them, and it was superb as long as they were in the studio, where everything
was basically standing still, and properly lit. As soon as it cut to an OB
on the other hand, there was motion blur on them ALL. Some were worse than
others in that the blur was not just a function of panel speed, but also
drive artifacts. These were not cheap sets either. Many were from big name
houses. The larger screen sets actually seemed to fare somewhat better than
the small ones in my opinion, and the plasmas were a little better again,
but none of them produced what I would describe as a 'good' picture in this
respect, compared to a CRT set of any size or vintage - even my 10 year old
large screen Toshiba. There's a world of difference between LCD pixel
switching times in the mS bracket, and fast phosphor reponses down in the uS
range.

I actually think that at the moment, digital display technology - without
wishing to open up *that* can of worms again - lags behind CRT display
technology, by a significant amount. Next time you go to the cinema, look up
at the booth window and see if you can see film looping around the ceiling.
If you can't, then it uses one of those new-fangled DLP video projectors.
Sit back comfortably with your popcorn, and wonder what's happened to your
eyes, when the first car drives across the screen ... d;~}

Arfa