Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
CBFalconer CBFalconer is offline

Default Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

Arfa Daily wrote:
"CBFalconer" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

... snip ...

OK. I'm not sure that 'RMS' is the right term to attach to any
value derived from a ragged-arsed waveform, as it is a mathematical
function normally associated with symetrical waveforms, which the
draw by a SMPS may very well not be, but I see what you're saying.

What I am trying to say is that a chip which is designed to produce
an RMS reading from a sine wave, may well produce a meaningful
figure from a non-sinusoidal waveform also, but *only* if it is
still symetrical.

Oh? Try a square wave, for example. Nice and symetrical. You are
over-simplifying.

Explain ?

The integral is peak voltage times current. Simple. Not 0.7 *
peak voltage. Current is also constant for resistive loads, not
proportional to voltage. RMS doesn't work.

http://cbfalconer.home.att.net