Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_2_] Tony[_2_] is offline

Default measuring current in a 220 ac circuit

I don't know if any electrician reading this post
he must be laughing his head of
what is total amps on 220 whatever you are
reading on your amprob dummy
do you have any knowledge in Ohms law.
and neutral at properly design and grounded system
IS carrying current it is not at zero ever unless on your
screwed up system ground is carrying current
which is not suppose to ever.
and if you take 220 then split the phase of the same
source/cable for 110 the neutral will carry double the current
of single hot wire!
Tony
www.cas-environ.com

"kpg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all. A simple electrical question (I hope).

I have a clamp on amp meter and I'm interested in seeing how much
current
is used at various loads by the feeder line running to my remote
garage.

The feeder is has 2 hots and 1 neutral going to a sub panel that
divides it
into several 110 circuits.

I know that the current on the neutral will be the difference between
the current on
the two hots (less any stray current lost to the grounding rod), but
I'm interested in
knowing the 'total' amps of the 220 circuit.

I'm thinking I could measure the current on one hot, then on the other
hot, and add
the two values together. What I would like to do is install a
permanent meter but
now I'm thinking that I need two, one for each hot. If I try to
measure the current
by passing both hots through the 'clamp', since they are 180 degrees
out of phase,
won't they cancel each other out (and I would end up with the
difference of the
two like on the netural)?

So my long winded question is this - how can I use a single 'clamp-on'
style meter
to measure current on a 220vac circuit?

Thanks.