Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Teaching my kid.. what a kick

Enjoy while you can Mac, time flies.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Aug 14, 1:54 pm, mac davis wrote:
My youngest stepson, 26, is here for a month and wanted to spend some time in
the lathe..

It's been so cool to pass on the joy of turning, especially to such an apt and
attentive learner..

This kid is a computer nerd and has always been "non-mechanical", mostly because
his 2 older brothers convinced him that he was... To see him realize that he has
skill in his hands as well as his head is just so cool..

In the last week, he's progressed from making shavings and kindling stick
through a couple of honey dippers, a few really bizarre (to me) incense holders,
a few surprisingly nice turned boxes and today his first couple of pens..

I love to learn through teaching, but this has really been a kick.. better than
any drug that I ever tried. (But I never exhaled)

It was fun teaching my 2 kids and my 2 oldest stepsons turning and "shop stuff",
but they had confidence and a bit shop experience..
Seeing this kid glowing with pride because he did something that he didn't think
that he could possibly accomplish is mind blowing..

A sign of the times:
Here's this kid visiting Mexico, up all night turning... and having his girl
friend in WA watching him on a web cam while they talk.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing