Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default A couple of questions regarding tops and grinders

On Aug 14, 1:55 pm, Kevin wrote:
When making a bowl/box with a top, is it more common to make the top to fit over the outside of the bowl/box [think bottle of pop] or to fit on the inside [think whisky cork]? I've gone both ways and about the only two differences I can see would be appearance and perhaps, use.

I think you are right. I have seen both, and when executed well,
there isn't much difference except in the eye of the beholder.

As to grinders, is there any reason I couldn't just place it (standard 2 wheel grinder) back up close to the wall. Can y'all think of any reason one would need the space behind?

Not unless you are going to mount a sharpening jig to use with the
grinder. Some of them require space behind them for the arm
adjustment that determines the distance between the wheel and the tool
to assist in the correct sharpening profile.

Robert