Posted to rec.woodworking

Default lacquer durability?

Not familiar with Hydrocote but Lacquer is way more brittle than poly.
It may be an adhesion problem but more likely applied to thickly per
coat or sharp corners. This is why I think it is critical with Lacquer
to spray it in a hatch pattern of crossing directions in thin coats.
It might be just my perception but this seems to toughen it a little
bit.

I hear some folks like per-catalized Lacquer now days. I might have
heard its harder and less brittle but not sure that is true. Maybe
someone can comment.

Me, If I use lacquer any more I put it on very thin. Fast and easy and
doesn't chip, etc. I love it. Don't use it much on tables anymore
ibecause of wear problems I favor wipe on poly.

On Aug 13, 7:08 am, Renata wrote:
Spraying the kitchen cabinets with Hydrcote and noticed little whitish
"dings" in the finish. Corners, mostly. Doesn't seem to take a lot
to cause this damage. Haven't recoated to know if it's easily
remedied.

I am spraying the water based lacquer over BLO, but I am allowing the
BLO to thoroughly dry (otherwise, the lacquer just peels off).

Is this normal for Hydrocote? I mean, it's great that lacquer is a
finish that's easily repaired, but thank goodness it is apparently,
since it's gonna need repairining 4x a day. What's going on?

AM I gonna need to do a top coat with some poly (a much more durable
finish that didn't need repariin' at all in my previous kitchen)?

Any/all advice welcome and appreciated.

Thanx
Renata