Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Fields Mark Fields is offline

Default Cast aluminum with embeded 6061-T6 aluminum rods

It may be possible to cast the 6061-T6 pins in the aluminum (depends on size
and configuration) but they will of course no longer be T6 and the entire
assembly would need to be heat treated.

The question I would have is why not cast the pins as part of the spine
casting (i.e. pins and spine all one casting)?

Also what if the pins were made in stainless steel and the aluminum cast
around them.

I would need to know more about the object you are casting but to take full
advantage of the casting process you should consider a way to eliminate the
extra operation of making the pins.

Mark

"Ink Maker" wrote in message
oups.com...
We are working on a new aluminum fixture. It is basically an aluminum
spine with many 6061-T6 pins sticking out. Currently we drill the
holes inside the spine and hammer the 5/32" 6061-T6 pins inside. Is
there anyway to cast aluminum with many 6061-T6 pins embedded (they
will stick out after the casting)?

Thanks........... Ken

Opportunities are never lost. The other fellow takes those you miss.

| Torrey Hills Technologies, LLC |
| www.threerollmill.com |
| www.torreyhillstech.com |