Posted to alt.home.repair
kpg* kpg* is offline

Default Sears-my experience

(Michael Lane) wrote in news:14124-46C1B1F8-264
@storefull-3133.bay.webtv.net:

I bought a dishwasher from sears on a transfer sale. I live in Tn & was
to be installed in Florida. I asked sales clerk in Florida ( calling
from sear store) if was in stock & when could install, immediately was
reply. I paid with check, big mistake.This was a rental condo in Destin
with guests in it & right before July 4. Three days later no dishwasher,
just got to sears store ( sez clerk ) installation a week away. So I
cancelled contract , got maintenance man to go borg get on e & install.
Asked sears clerk how to get my check back. He sez "Sears will issue a
refund check but not send it to me, will only send to address of
installation. " No matter how hard I tried could not get past clerk to
manger or higher up. So I stopped payment on check. Get letter from a
collection agency they bought check from sears & I owe them $$$$. Did
not matter that I did not receive merchandise, told me to prove it.
Sears clerk would not provide a proof of cancellation . Remember ' clerk
in Florida & I am in Tn. & Tn sears clerk just shined me on' Called a
local T V station they got involved & got it cleared up. Asked me what
I learned " Don't pay with a check, use the plastic instead."
T V people said manger of Sears store treated him like crap ,I said 'How
you think they treated me?'

Michael Lane

Interesting. I've always had a good opinion of Sears, mainly because
of their customer service. While any operation as large as Sears will
be somewhat impersonal I am a little surprised at your experience.

The fact that you were not able to show up in person to deal with it
no doubt had a negative effect - A manager will likely want to make
an irate customer standing in his store happy at any cost.

But once the cash is pocketed I'm sure they must follow their refund
procedures - which apparently are "we'll mail you a check".

I am curious as to why you think a CC purchase is better than Check?
How would this have improved the situation?

kpg