Posted to alt.home.repair

Default measuring current in a 220 ac circuit

"kpg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Everything you have listed could be single phase, which means that
each item will cause the reading to go up in only one phase of the
circuit. If you do have 240V stuff it will cause both phases to go up
at the same time.

Yes, all of the equipment is single phase, some on one leg, some on
the
other. This is the source of my dilemma. So what I really am asking
is this: I know its meaningful to measure the current on one leg or
the other,

That's how it is done.

but is it meaningful to measure the current on both at the
same time?

You probably won't get a reading.

Say I was drawing 8 amps on one leg, and 9 on the other. Am I
using 17 amps?

Yes.

That seems right, but does it have any meaning?

It means you are drawing 17 amps and the load is almost perfectly balanced.
You can also measure amps on the neutral. I usually check the grounding
electrode conductor also. Once in a while I find current on it and then I
explain to the customer that there may be a problem somewhere.

The 30 amp breaker is 30 amps per leg - So who cares if they both
add up to, say, 40?

If I was concerned about the load, I would care.

I'm starting to think measuring each leg independently is the
most correct solution.

You are correct.