Posted to sci.electronics.repair
petrus bitbyter petrus bitbyter is offline

Default Router help

schreef in bericht
ups.com...
I know there are some PC gurus in here, perhaps I could prevail upon
you to give me a walk through on this.

This is a Dlink DI 804 HV. The other day my Win 98SE box's OS crashed
and it did a revert. It has reinstalled all drivers and reports that
the network card is working properly. Now I have built PCs, but I know
very little about networking. The last time something like this
happened I had to put in the address http://192.168.0.1 and put some
information in the window, like time zone and so forth.

However that now results in the "Page cannot be displayed", cannot
find server. I am on another PC connected to the same router so it is
not defective.

Dlink has told me on the phone that they no longer support Win 98, and
SBC was equally unhelpful. Last time it worked, I have gone to Dlink's
website and got the installation guide. It mentions hitting the reset
button. Last time I got walked through this setup process I was told
specifically NOT to hit reset. I am a bit leary of doing so, because I
can go downstairs and get online, which is what I did today.

As far as upgrading to XP, it is out of the question, not only because
of the age of the machine, but because I like 98 and I can and have
manipulated it quite a bit. What I have done goes alot farther than
changing a few file associations. In time I know I will have to load
XP, and I will then learn how to do the same or similar. Other than
that I could load Linux, but I just don't have the time to learn it
right now.

Should I hit reset and take my chances or what ? I know I have to
replace that 98 box soon, but I am looking for something suitable, I
am looking for the best PC I can run 98SE on, I'm thinking a high end
regular Athlon or P3. I've seen 98 run on PCs of that class and it is
fast. But for now, I'd like to get what I got running again.

Any help ?

Thanks for anything, I am lost.

JURB

Apparently, the router itself functions properly, so you do not need to
(re)configure it. Assuming your hardware is ok (likely as it worked until
the OS crashed) the only thing to do is to set the network configuration on
your WIN98 machine. So do:
Start - Setting - Control Panel - Network

The Network window will show at least three items:
- Client for Microsoft Networks
- The brand and type of your ethernet adapter
- TCP/IP - that adapter

Select the TCP/IP and hit the "Properties" button.
Now you'll have a TCP/IP properties window with seven tabs.

On the IP address tab select "Obtain an IP address automatically"
WINS Configuration tab: Disable
Gateway tab: Should be empty
DNS Configuration tab: Disable
Bindings tab: Client for Microsoft Networks should be marked
Advanced tab: Property should be none
BIOS tab: do nothing

This can be considered the standard setting for home networks, also
described in the manual of the DI-804-HV.

petrus bitbyter