Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default What is it? CXCII

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 14 Aug, 03:19, E Z Peaces wrote:

Rob
OK, many of us knew what it was, but how many of us have actually used
item # 1057, the Detex clock?
Here's a picture of one of the buildings I patrolled as a young
Coastie at the USCG Training Center on Governors Island, NY, off the
southern tip of Manhattan. Trust me, the attic space of that building
can be pretty creepy at 3 in the morning!
http://www.govisland.com/Images/Colo...gett_Hall2.jpg
Thanks for the memories!

That's where I used a Detex. In the photo, if you turned right and
walked to the end of the row, that was where I slept. If you continued
across the street, there was a building with a portico along the front.
That's where I carried a Detex. It seems like I sneaked around in
sneakers instead of those shoes with heavy rubber soles we wore during
the day.- Hide quoted text -

1975ish for me.

Did you jam beers in the vents of the window AC units in the rec rooms
to get them cold...err...I mean cool? Or did you spend the big bucks
and buy them out of the vending machines in the barracks - the ones
half stocked with soda and half stocked with beer?

How much did it suck sleeping in the ferry terminal when you missed
the last ferry (3:00AM?) to the island?

I was there at ET School in 1972. I don't remember air conditioning.
There was no beer in the barracks and I don't remember a rec room. Some
said the draft beer at the club tasted like dishwater but I liked it.
The speed limit was 15 except where it was 5 or 10. I had two friends
in the SPs who said it was ridiculous trying to clock somebody doing 16
in a 15 zone, but that's what was expected. They drove Matadors.

We suffered a warrantless locker search. In my locker was camping gear.
In my camping gear was a cooking kit. In my cooking kit was a
teaspoon. The sneering clerk demanded to know what I was doing in
possession of a spoon. Obviously he assumed it was drug paraphernalia.

Those were two of many reasons I hated the place. I served on a ship
with a classmate. He begged to get off. He was told no way. One day
the crew began saying he was acting just like me. The captain offered
him the duty station of his choice if he would leave immediately. He
chose Governors Island and we sailed straight there.

He told me he hadn't learned anything about electronics as a student or
in the field, so he figured the only billet he was fit for was an
electronics instructor. That way he'd be around people who knew even
less than he did.