Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Steve is offline

Default Retrospective Building Regs Compliance (from uk.legal)

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:57:13 +0100, Peter Parry wrote:

In Cottingham and Cottingham versus Attey Bower & Jones, a firm of
conveyancing solicitors was sued by the buyer of a secondhand
property for allegedly failing to find out whether building
regulation consent had been granted. The owners - who ran into a
structural problem after they moved in - won the case. As a result
conveyancing solicitors now rigorously check all consents on
properties for sale.

That was quoted on legal paperwork when I sold my flat a couple of years
back, they were demanding signoff as the flat was a converted house,
without any planing or building regs as far as anyone could tell.

My solicitors response back was basically don't be an ass, its been 25
years if there were problems they would have shown up by now, and that was
that.

Steve