Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
So are you saying that a meter that measures *true* RMS
anything -- power, current, volts -- will do so correctly even
if the waveform is asymmetric about the zero point? I always
believed that an even distribution about the zero point was a
requirement for an accurate representation of an RMS value.

The RMS value of a waveform has nothing to do with the shape or symmetry
of
the waveform.

Assuming the meter is correctly designed, yes. RMS has a clear, specific
definition, and if the measurement is correctly implemented, the reading
will be correct.

Two qualifications... If the waveform is non-periodic, the measured RMS
value will vary according to the sample period. Also, if the waveform
includes a DC component, and the meter blocks it with a capacitor, then
the
RMS reading will not include the DC component.

Ah, OK. Perhaps it's non-periodicity that I'm getting confused with. As I
say, college seems a long-haired good music time ago now ...

Arfa