Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Doc Doc is offline

Default Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

On Aug 13, 7:38 am, Arno Wagner wrote:

The transformer - if that's the correct term for it - big gray
basically cylindrical unit on top of a power pole - near my house blew
once.

Ugh. Putting them up for each individual hous is a very, very
historic way to do it.

I don't think there's one by every house, seems like you see them
every few poles.

The right way to do this is to use bigger transformesr for 10-100 houese
and to bury 3-phase AC lines. A lot more expensive, but pays off
in the long run, since you have less problems. And all these ugly
poles and transformers will vanish.

I know the power lines coming into my house are definitely above
ground. They're strapped to a supporting cable coming from a power
pole.