Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Welding NG is full

According to SteveB :

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

It depends (somewhat) on your newsreader. With mine (trn), in
the killfile specific for rec.crafts.metalworking I have the following
line as the first active line:

/: .*sci.crypt/h:j

[ ... ]

I was getting aggravated with this childish bull****. I had put "," in the
specified newsgroups portion of my filter. But still, I was getting sporge.
Today, I installed RegistryFix which I had done on my other computers. I
did a scan and it had over 500 problems.

I *hate* the Windows Registry -- a serious way to hide what you
need to know to control your computer. So -- I don't use Windows for
anything related tot he net. :-)

Then I went to newsgroups again, and all I got was messages specific to that
newsgroup. After this goes away, I'll remove the comma from newsgroup
rules, and get back to normal.

Great -- though this will also lose you things cross-posted to
alt.machines.cnc and sci.engineering.joining.welding, which you may wish
to read.

Just put sci.crypt in place of that comma, and it should get rid
of this particular run, at least.

I think there should be some hefty fines and jail time for people who would
interrupt interstate communications like this. It doesn't seem that hard to
find out who's doing it, but I guess it's down on the list of priorities.

One of the problems is that it is not just interstate, but
actually international. The system which has been spewing this garbage
into the newsfeed is a system in Greece at the University of Crete.
And, I'll bet that was a Windows box compromised by a virus -- possibly
one injected by one of of those e-cards which have been flooding e-mail
recently, so whoever actually *commanded that system could be anywhere
in the world, and almost certainly not at the University of Crete.

Perhaps the staff is back (on Monday) and has shut down and
cleaned the machine responsible for this. (They always start something
like this at the beginning of a weekend, so there is the maximum time
before someone with the power to shut it down comes in.

Too bad shooting, castration and hanging has been shunned by society. A
couple of those, and the problems would go away quickly.

*If* we could lay our hands on the person actually responsible,
perhaps somebody would be willing to take a chance -- especially if it
is in some other country.

Hmm ... a cruise missile with a homing instinct for a specific
IP address? :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564