Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default measuring current in a 220 ac circuit

On Aug 13, 11:02 pm, kpg wrote:
Why do you want to do this anyhow? The information is pretty useless.- Hide quoted text -

Well, I can't argue with you there. For one, I like gadgets. For
another, I have
a 5hp compressor, some computer equipment, a full time window unit,
and
a part time window unit, a bunch of fluorescent lights, occasionally a
hand drill
or table saw.

It all runs on a 30 amp branch circuit and at times the breaker gets
quite
warm to the touch. I thought it would be nice to be able to monitor
the load on the system, i.e., the amps flowing through the feeder
line.

And did I mention I like gadgets?

I'll do some experiments with the one backwards divide by two
method.

Each item should have a nameplate. The nameplate will give you a rough
estimate of how much everything is using.

Everything you have listed could be single phase, which means that
each item will cause the reading to go up in only one phase of the
circuit. If you do have 240V stuff it will cause both phases to go up
at the same time.

Measure each leg with nothing on and then turn each item on and read
again.

Unless you are planing to upgrading , try not to use the compressor
and the AC unit at the same time.

The breaker is constantly monitoring the use.