Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default Rude to ask for repairman's license and insurance

In article ,
says...

If I hire a repairman, would it be rude for me to ask to see his license
and
bonding documents if I am in doubt.

This conversation has devolved into a complex thing. Lots of work can and
is done safely by people hiring unlicensed uninsured people all the time.
It's just when something goes haywire that we hear about it. It's all up to
you. You're the one at risk.

You might be scaring off good tradesmen by insisting on documentation. Yet
not asking is courting disaster. It's a Catch-22 situation.

In Washington State, there's often no need to ask. The state has a web
site that verifies current license, bond, liability insurance, and
worker's comp status, as well as the status of any past bond claims.

You can even sign up for worker's comp monitoring, the state will email
you the day their worker's comp goes out of force and you can keep them
off the site until things are current again.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/