Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

Default Rude to ask for repairman's license and insurance

Guess who pays the bill and punitive damages when an uninsured contractor or
employee gets hurt on your jobsite.

"SteveB" wrote in message

If I hire a repairman, would it be rude for me to ask to see his license
and
bonding documents if I am in doubt.

This conversation has devolved into a complex thing. Lots of work can and
is done safely by people hiring unlicensed uninsured people all the time.
It's just when something goes haywire that we hear about it. It's all up
to you. You're the one at risk.

You might be scaring off good tradesmen by insisting on documentation.
Yet not asking is courting disaster. It's a Catch-22 situation.

Steve