Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default MDF, Wipe On Poly, and a Deteriorating Finish

On Aug 13, 8:27 pm, "Leif Thorvaldson" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

oups.com...

A few weekends ago I built a prototype of a low-slung entertainment
center out of MDF. SWMBO wanted a visual of the size and shape before
I commited time and funds to the actual item. Sort of like this, but
with no drawers or doors on the prototype:

http://www.sauder.com/images/drawing...nza_401111.jpg

Since building the real one is going to be my winter project, I
figured I would finish the MDF with a couple of coats of wipe-on poly.
Now, a few weeks later, I am beginning to see spots and areas where
the finish is turning white and other areas where the surface is
cloudy and rough.

I store CD's on one shelf and the finish under the CD's is white and
rough. There's a rough, cloudy spot under the DVD player where it
looks like something dripped on it, but there's no way that could have
happened - it's *under* the player. One exterior side has spots that
look like something splashed on it, but it's on a rug with the side
facing a area where no liquids would have been present.

It looked fine (well, fine for an MDF entertainment center!) for a
couple of weeks and then I noticed these imperfections in various
areas. Any idea what might be happening?

=====All of the above and one other thought! Could you have been
playing
some real tear-jerker cds?*G*

I did play Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of "The Sky Is Crying"
recently, along with some cuts from Leon Redbone's "Up A Lazy River"
and a Muddy Water's CD. Who knows...