Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf Leuf is offline

Default MDF, Wipe On Poly, and a Deteriorating Finish

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:20:13 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

A few weekends ago I built a prototype of a low-slung entertainment
center out of MDF. SWMBO wanted a visual of the size and shape before
I commited time and funds to the actual item. Sort of like this, but
with no drawers or doors on the prototype:

http://www.sauder.com/images/drawing...nza_401111.jpg

Since building the real one is going to be my winter project, I
figured I would finish the MDF with a couple of coats of wipe-on poly.
Now, a few weeks later, I am beginning to see spots and areas where
the finish is turning white and other areas where the surface is
cloudy and rough.

I store CD's on one shelf and the finish under the CD's is white and
rough. There's a rough, cloudy spot under the DVD player where it
looks like something dripped on it, but there's no way that could have
happened - it's *under* the player. One exterior side has spots that
look like something splashed on it, but it's on a rug with the side
facing a area where no liquids would have been present.

It looked fine (well, fine for an MDF entertainment center!) for a
couple of weeks and then I noticed these imperfections in various
areas. Any idea what might be happening?

Clearly the woodworking gods are angry that you attempted to make
something of MDF semi-permanent.

MDF really really doesn't like getting wet. I'd be a nice explanation
to think that it got a good soaking before you bought it, then the
surface dried out to where you would think it was fine. But the stuff
would just disintegrate on you when you tried to work with it if that
happened. So I don't know. Maybe you had a breakin by a very skinny
cat that likes music.

I'd test that finish on scraps of that MDF and on something else.
that should answer some questions.

-Leuf