Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sonofabitchsky@hotmail.com is offline

Default Rude to ask for repairman's license and insurance

On Aug 12, 5:07 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Surprisingly enough this doesn't seem to have been asked. Or at least it
was inundated with all the other garbage that Google returns (Google is fast
becoming worthless as a search engine).

If I hire a repairman, would it be rude for me to ask to see his license and
bonding documents if I am in doubt. Especially for something involving a
roof or electrical? My neighbor is the king of hiring fly by night repair
guys who wheel and deal with him, I seriously doubt any of them are bonded,
but if I hired the same guy, I wouldn't know if he was dishonest or not. I
don't hang out with plumbers and electricians or roofer so I have to take
them at face value. So if I hire some guy would he get all ****y and
irritated if I asked him for his info?

No, it's not rude. And if they take it that way, tell them to pack
lead. Most states let you look up their license number and see if it's
valid and if there are complaints, etc.

Would you rather them not have insurance, get hurt and sue you?