Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Basement Ceiling Drywall, Is Finishing Required ????

wrote:
looking to put up a basement ceiling on the cheap! drywall is about
10 times cheaper than a drop ceiling as far as i can tell. thought
about just putting up drywall on the ceiling, BUT, i still want access
to the wires/ducts if i ever need to (ie the benefit of a drop
ceiling).

can i just put up the drywall per normal, using screws, but not finish/
tape/mud the joints? that way if needed i figured i could just
unscrew one panel, access whatever i need, then screw it back in.
talked to a Lowe's guy who didn't think it should be done, thinking
that the drywall ceiling might crumble apart if it's not finished????

As long as it's not disturbed it'll be fine. After wrestling even 3/8"
overhead and hanging it, though (and I'm not really recommending using
less than 1/2 for a ceiling unless you don't care if it sags), I'd be
willing to bet you would choose to simply cut where you needed for
access rather than pull down a full sheet.

And that doesn't address the issue that once it's up, taking it down
will leave a set of mounting holes that will be weak points for the
breaking that the Borg guy was probably thinking of. Not to mention
that after a period of time, the chances of drywall screws snapping off
when you try to back them out is pretty good once the floor joists cure
good and a little bit of moisture has corroded the screws, etc., ...

The other responder w/ the idea for a much lighter paneling or other
solution sounds far more practical for that intent to me. Or sheetrock
the area w/o any plumbing/drains/etc. and use something else for areas
likely to need access.

imo, $0.02, etc., etc., ...