Posted to alt.home.repair
Christopher Cole Christopher Cole is offline

Default Toilet supply line ruptured

Smarty wrote:
Just curious....what type of supply line was it and where did it rupture (at
the end fittings, in the middle, or elsewhere?????). Is the line subject to
any unusual stresses like vibration, flexing, etc.??? This is an unusual
situation...

Not so unusual, it happened to me as well. I came home to the sound of water running from upstairs, found out
it was the plastic nut on the toilet end of the water feed line that fractured. I guess the plastic crosslinks
and becomes brittle over time, and the stress on its threads eventually becomes too much for the brittle plastic
to bear. Fortunately for me, the water ran across the bathroom floor, into the floor vent, down the ducts into
the basement, where the ductwork turned 90 degrees, but the water ran out of a convenient hole in the bottom of
the duct, right into a floor drain

-Chris