Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Toilet supply line ruptured

On Aug 13, 6:53 am, "S H O P D O G" wrote:
Woke up 0530 this morning to the sound of heavy rain. Walked down stairs
only to find that the rain was in my kitchen. Hauled ass back up the steps
to the bathroom to find that the toilet supply line ruptured. Backtracking I
figured that all was fine at just after 0030 so sometime after 0030 and 0530
this occurred. Now, judging by the amount of water on the floor in the
kitchen and the basement it must have been at 0032.

Our kitchen ceiling, the fan, the telephones the kitchen parquet floor
(which is now buckling and sounding like a sponge) has all been lost. Along
with several items one might find on the kitchen floor and on the table. You
never think that something like this will happen and when it does you wonder
whywould I friken leave that there?

Oh the joys of homeownership!

Sd

In my area (Chicago suburbs) the toilet supply must be done with soft
copper and compression fittings. And if an actual plumber is
installing your faucets he has to use soft copper there too. Only
homeowners can get away with using the hoses. That is, if you want to
be up to code or pass an inspection.

They now make little alarms that will ring when water contacts them,
handy for under sinks and toilets, sump pumps, floor drains, etc. to
wake you up to problems before they become catastrophes.

Heres are a bunch of them, considering your story they are probably
worth it:

http://www.smarthome.com/_/ProductRe...eak%20detactor