Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Electrical wiring

no spam wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
no spam wrote:
Speaking of useless answers. I went to some trade show years ago. I
got a tote bag that might have said Copper is Proper. I cannot find
the tote bag to see if that was the logo. Two points were made in the
handout and it was geared towards commercial electricians. Well maybe
one point. Copper flows electricity better than aluminum. 12 guage can
be less expensive over the life of a building versus 14 guage due to
lower power losses with the bigger wire. Equipment can run better with
lower voltage drops.
I know copper wire has many advantages over AL wire but I have a question
or two.

First off why is almost all the 'big' wire AL? When I started service
here I was required to buy AL wire to connect the meter to the breaker
box on the pole and to connect that box to the breaker box in the
trailer.

Also can you even buy 'small' AL wire, e.g. 10 ga? If so is it that much
cheaper than Cu?

Would anyone here use AL wire for anything?

Cost -- compare the price for large diameter Cu vis a vis Al and you'll
see they "why"...

IIRC, you can use a smaller Cu wire.

But the comparison of the required Cu to that for Al for the same
current rating still favors Al in a sizable ratio.

It would be unusual to require Al, most will accept either as most
terminations these days are Cu/Al compatible. If the service gear was
rated for Al only, then it would make sense.

I just know what the permit people told me. I guess you can't buy a Cu
rated meter box.

I'm sure they were simply telling you to do common practice. Al is the
de facto standard for feeder/service use.

I would expect a very high fraction or more of those "here" have Al in
their own residences in at least those applications.

I missed a word. It should read: Would anyone here use AL wire for anything
else? That is would anyone here use AL wire from the breaker box to the
outlets.

See Doug's response -- w/ NEC 2005 at least it isn't allowed.