Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Electrical wiring

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , dpb wrote:

I assume somebody must still make it, but out of curiousity I did a
little looking -- lots of feeder and various other larger cable, but I
couldn't find a single reference to 10/x or smaller Al. Smallest I
found was #8.

Hmm. Thought I'd seen #10 not too long ago. But then, "not too long ago" is a
longer time period than it used to be, too. :-(
I'm thinking w/ the Al-wiring scare there simply has been so little
demand for ordinary circuit Al wiring it has become almost, if not, a
thing of the past.

I imagine the biggest factor is this:

"Conductors normally used to carry current shall be of copper unless otherwise
provided in this Code." [2005 NEC, Article 110.5]

Exceptions include services and feeders, but not (as far as I can tell) branch
circuits.

I started to say I thought the Code _might_ have removed AL from branch
circuit use, but wasn't sure enough to say so (and didn't feel like
digging through to find out for sure).

That pp would certainly put a crimp in the market, wouldn't it?

So, at least for all practical purposes, the answer to the question of
is AL in smaller sizes (for electrical wiring purposes) available is "No"...