Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Electrical wiring

no spam wrote:
Speaking of useless answers. I went to some trade show years ago. I
got a tote bag that might have said Copper is Proper. I cannot find
the tote bag to see if that was the logo. Two points were made in the
handout and it was geared towards commercial electricians. Well maybe
one point. Copper flows electricity better than aluminum. 12 guage can
be less expensive over the life of a building versus 14 guage due to
lower power losses with the bigger wire. Equipment can run better with
lower voltage drops.

I know copper wire has many advantages over AL wire but I have a question or
two.

First off why is almost all the 'big' wire AL? When I started service here
I was required to buy AL wire to connect the meter to the breaker box on the
pole and to connect that box to the breaker box in the trailer.

Also can you even buy 'small' AL wire, e.g. 10 ga? If so is it that much
cheaper than Cu?

Would anyone here use AL wire for anything?

Cost -- compare the price for large diameter Cu vis a vis Al and you'll
see they "why"...

It would be unusual to require Al, most will accept either as most
terminations these days are Cu/Al compatible. If the service gear was
rated for Al only, then it would make sense.

Another reason for Al is that it bends more easily so for larger sizes
it is easier to handle.

Al for service entrance, feeders, etc., sure...

I would expect a very high fraction or more of those "here" have Al in
their own residences in at least those applications.