Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Scraping reference surface

Mike Henry wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message

I have no connection to this company.

http://www.machinerepair.com/scrapers.html

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see a raw casting for a
25" x 3" wide raw casting that you can scrape in to use as a reference
surface. At $210.00 plus S&H it seems like a logical first step for
those
that want to improve your old iron.

I figure if you can't get this thing scraped in, it is better to leave
your
machine alone and deal with it's inaccuracy's.

I believe that is Michael Morgan's web site. Run a Google Groups search
on that name and you should find that several buyers have had problems
getting product from him. He still owes me the Bridgeport rebuilding
book or at least a refund.

Contact him again. He was in DEEP doo-doo for a while, with
several family members dying and a business that employed half a
dozen people having to be foreclosed. I paid for the raw
straight edge casting and the Bridgeport book. It took a LONG
time to get the casting, which I was very happy with, and then
he disappeared for a while. When he showed up again, I
contacted him about the book, which wasn't written yet, and he
agreed to send me the scraping book instead. There wasn't a lot
in there that I hadn't already figured out, but he did
eventually make good on the deal. He's a nice guy, and he's
trying to make everything right. (Still, as a small businessman
myself, I would never let things get this bad before I stopped
accepting orders. But, having the kind of troubles he has been
through, it can mess up your psyche, you think you will have
everything cleaned up and be back on track in a week or two,
then the next shoe drops.)

Jon