Koz

Default what is involved in stud welding?

Yup, I was brain dead and had things crossed..that's the danger of
thinkin you remember something when your memory is really like swiss
cheese from eatin too many twinkies.

Interesting stuff came up while searching though....a process of
capacative discharge used for metal forming. Generally hobbyists use it
for "quarter shrinking". The huge magnetic field appears to shrink a
quarter in diameter without really messing up the coining. You get a
quarter that is thicker and smaller in diameter that still looks like a
quarter.

Interesting stuff if you search the web for "quarter shrinking"

Koz

David Billington wrote:

This sounds like a damped oscillation so the capacitor must discharge
into something like an inductor which would store energy and then
release some back to charge the capacitor again in the opposite
direction. There must be energy taken out of the system by resistance
(heat) or other means for it to fall to 0. Basically a capacitor is a
device to store electrical charge so at any given point its DC and
diesn't produce AC.
Koz wrote:

Shorted capacitors discharge an ac wave that degrades over a short
time. I can't specifically say why, but I assume that they sort-of
re-charge the opposite plate of the capacitor which then discharges
kind of like a swinging pendulum. Look up stuff on Tesla Coil design
for more information on this. The AC discharge is the basis of how a
Tesla coil works. Of course I'm still half asleep this morning and am
probably missing something here.....

Koz

Old Nick wrote:

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:38:37 -0700, Koz
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply
via email

Capacitors discharge AC so 99% of these machines are AC welders.

I have to question that. How would they discharge AC?
I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got us lost. He was a
non-compass mentor.........sorry
........no I'm not.