Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

Default Bricklaying tips, advice

On 13 Aug, 13:28, tonyjeffs wrote:
My brickwork is passable but only just.... I have some basic questions
I'm using a 3:1 mix.
The engineering bricks I'm using have 3 large holes straight through.
Should I be filling these with cement as I go along?
Should I lay excess cement on each course so there is enough sticking
out to point up? If I do this it tends to dribble.
Or should I point afterwards with a dry mix. I can do it better this
way, but I can't get smooth flowing lines to my pointing because it's
too dry. If i make it wetter, it'll stain the brick surfaces.

So my problem is one way or the other, how to get a nice finish to my
pointing without staining the outer brick surfaces.

Any tips & advice appreciated.

Thanks
Tony

First remember the difference between cement (grey dry powder) and
mortar (cement/sand/water). You don't fill the holes with cement (or
mortar) before laying the brick, as they will be filled when you lay
the bed of the next course.

You really need a picture or video to see how to lay a brick as words
are difficult, but you lay the bed with just enough mortar so that
when you press the brick down, some mortar is sqeezed out, and this is
then cut off and used for the perp joint of the next brick.

After laying the mortar will start to dry, but with engineers this
will take a while. Press the mortar with your finger, and if you just
make a slight indent, it can be pointed. If your finger sinks in, its
still too wet.

All the mortar should be cut off flush with the wall prior to pointing
(after laying really) and not left hanging out. Point any gaps with a
semi dry mix, and not wet mortar - as you have found out this will
stain the face of the bricks.

Use a bit of fairy liquid in the mix and this will reduce the water
content requirement and makes it easier to use, and cuts down on
possible staining.

dg