Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The Pussification of the American Male

Yep, I have had a similar experience with the roofer not being an
electrician. On a job years ago, doing heating and AC. My crew
was doing a lot of electrical work to hook up the furnace, and
outdoor unit for the AC. It was not much extra work to connect
the roof vent fan.

You shoulda let him do electrical work left handed. He didn't try
to get you to hug him left handed, correct?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
: What he said may be the norm. But when my son was 5 years old,
: I took him with me to the crawl space in the attic to wire the
: new vent fans. The roofer said he couldn't wire them because
: he was not an electrician.
:
: First, I showed him where switch for the attic fans was
: located to make sure it was off. Then I had him nail
: down the plywood so he had something to crawl on and
: explained why he still wanted his weight to be on the
: 2x4's.
:
: I showed him how to a wire tester "one-handed" to make
: certain the power was off. My son is left-handed so he
: had to learn to do electrial work right-handed.
:
: He help me lay brick, cut down trees, plant trees,
: put up a fence, tend a garden, change oil, repair
: toilets, lay carpet, etc. He is now 23 and called
: me yesterday to tell me he got his first electric
: shock because he "thought" the power was off. I
: told him he was damn lucky he wasn't standing in
: a puddle of water.
:
: I even taught him how to homebrew beer which since
: he didn't out the effort into high school that I
: tried to get him to do, it comes in handy since
: he is barely making a living.
:
: If you don't teach your children how to work and
: learn from teaching them, you're a wimp parenting
: a wimp to be.
:
: Dick