Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Rude to ask for repairman's license and insurance

Eigenvector wrote:
Surprisingly enough this doesn't seem to have been asked. Or at least it
was inundated with all the other garbage that Google returns (Google is fast
becoming worthless as a search engine).

If I hire a repairman, would it be rude for me to ask to see his license and
bonding documents if I am in doubt. Especially for something involving a
roof or electrical? My neighbor is the king of hiring fly by night repair
guys who wheel and deal with him, I seriously doubt any of them are bonded,
but if I hired the same guy, I wouldn't know if he was dishonest or not. I
don't hang out with plumbers and electricians or roofer so I have to take
them at face value. So if I hire some guy would he get all ****y and
irritated if I asked him for his info?

One of my lawyer sons advised that I get a paper proof of insurance.
This happened after a chimney sweep almost fell off my roof while
inspecting chimney while there was snow on the roof.