Harold & Susan Vordos

Default tramming a mini mill

"Lennie the Lurker" wrote in message
om...
"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

It would have to be a pretty bad story to not be worth the price.

What
type machine are you talking about?

Harold

THis one

I'd like to see the rack on the column a little longer, but at the
price, I can't complain if it works at all. I've taken one cut with
it on a piece of scrap, and it seems to be pretty solid for small
cutters and small work. MY guess is that with the variable speed, a
1/2" endmill and a light cut are about where you're going to run out
of power in steel. Aluminum or brass, possibly a bit more.

One other item I've picked up and found useful, MicroMark sells a tool
post grinder for the 7 X mini lathes for $100. Replaces the compound
slide, so no taper grinding, and has the base machined so you can't
swivel it on the compound. Took five minutes in the surface grinder
to remove the step on the base, still won't grind tapers, but it works
well. Taking off the step lets the belt guard clear the tailstock,
wheel ends up dressed with an angle, but that's of no consequence.
Not something if you're in a hurry, but for my use, it works well.

Hey, not a bad looking machine for the bucks. Mind you, I'm not a fan of
round column machines, but at that price, it lets the guy in that otherwise
may not have a shot at a small machine. I can see where a hobbyist that
has limited funds could be well served by that little sucker! Just don't
expect the performance of a Gorton from it.

Harold