Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unswitched neutral for timer switches

On 13 Aug, 10:24, Richard Russell wrote:
On 13 Aug, 09:33, wrote:

multiple cat5es are cheap and can be used for all sorts of apps, not
just pc networks.

True enough, but they're a compromise for many applications (such as
video and audio) and I'd rather lay something more appropriate if I
really thought it was needed. I'll be specifying extra TV coax (UHF/
satellite) cables anyway - I'm sure you wouldn't suggest using CAT5
for that!

Richard.http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
To reply by email change 'news' to my forename.

No one cable will do everything. Cat5e is very cheap and does most
things. People dont usually install multiple cable types, so 5e is a
good all rounder with very low cost. It wont carry satellite or much
power at LV, nor is it rated for higher V apps.

5e is not a compromise for audio, this is an enduring myth. It is not
necessary to use a screened cable to get good clean signal, that is
only _one_ method of doing so. Driving the cable with a 1 ohm
amplifier (eg almost any small 8 ohm audio amp) wipes out interference
very effectively, even on cables of much worse quality than 5e.

And yes, 8 ohm amps almost always have Zout of 1 ohm.

NT