Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Business work and permits

Are businesses held to a different standard than homes when it comes to
getting permits for work?

My company (name withheld to protect my job) does work all the time in their
server rooms. While escorting an electrican in a particularly sensitive
area I asked him why I never see inspectors or permits. The electrician, a
reputable person who's work I trust and who's large company does all kinds
of work, said that basically all the work is done off the books. He
mentioned that inspectors would poke their noses in where the company
wouldn't want it and its doubtful that places like where he was an inspector
could actually do his job.

But even in normal offices it seems like a lot of mod work is done without
permits and inspections. Is that normal? I'm speaking specifically of
electrical work, but plumbing, construction, and what-have-you is done all
the time in major corporate office parks. I find it hard to believe that a
large contracting company would risk their license doing illegal work.