Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default Lead Pipe won't give...

Clark wrote:
Robert Allison wrote in

Which one of my statements is false? If you wait to drink
milk until symptoms are present, you are already sick,
correct? Even if your theory (which I have seen proved wrong
in the real world) were correct, waiting to drink milk until
you are sick, by definition means that you are already sick.
If you advocate doing that, then your advice is going to make
people sick, needlessly.

Do you stand by your recommendation to wait until symptoms
appear before drinking milk IF you are exposed to fumes?

Perhaps YOUR need to be correct is overpowering your cognitive
abilities.

Which one of your statements is false? Show me where I said wait until
symptoms appear before drinking milk. I never said that at all. Go back and
re-read every post and you will see that I never said "wait". Do you see
your error now?

If you are changing your story now to agree with mine, then I
have no problem with what you are advocating. But previously,
you said:

"Zinc poisoning is not fun. If you do breath fumes and wake up
tomorrow with aching joints, drink lots of milk. Don't ask how
I know this..."

I take this to mean that if you are exposed to fumes, then if
you should feel any symptoms, drink some milk. Or are you
trying to say that one should NOT wait to feel symptoms to
take precautionary steps to avoid them entirely? If that is
what you were trying to say, then you failed in your
presentation, this is a misunderstanding and you agree with me.

I then responded:

"...To counteract the effects of zinc poisoning, you must
drink milk BEFORE any symptoms appear, or it is too late...."

To which you replied:

"....Also, milk helps even after the fact."

It may help, but only in the sense that you only think you are
dying for a shorter period of time.

Here is summary of your position and mine.

You: If someone is going to be exposed to zinc fumes it's ok if it's for
less than 15 minutes. Drink milk before the job if the exposure is going to
be longer.

Incorrect. I advocate avoiding fumes entirely. (Look at the
websites.) Sometimes you can't. Incidental exposure will not
cause problems. If you are exposed for 15 minutes or more,
then you are at risk. That is different than your summary.

Me: Avoid exposure. If you are exposed, then drink some milk because it
will reduce the symptoms.

Correct summary of your statements: Avoid exposure. If you
are exposed and you feel symptoms, drink some milk, it will
lessen the symptoms. (I assume that this means you will only
think you are slightly dying.)

Now Robert, how will someone who believes as I do be more likely to get
sick when I advocate avoiding exposure entirely? That's right, they aren't
more likely to get sick. In other words: your claim that if someone
believes as I will get zinc poisoning is false. Do you get it now?

If they avoid exposure, there is no problem. But if they take
the rest of your advice after being exposed then they may get
sick. If you believe that you should wait until you feel
symptoms to take precautionary measures, then you will ALREADY
be sick. If they take my advice, then they can avoid any
symptoms at all. IOW, they will not get sick.

About the only thing I can add is that I could have used the word
"accidently" in front of "exposed" to make it clear to you. Clearly I
failed to take into account your ability to misinterpt what I typed.

By the way, only one of the URLs posted even mentions treating the
symptoms. In other words, your post didn't support you claim that drinking
milk after the exposure is not helpful.

I don't need support. I am telling you what I have learned
from experience. You are challenging my statements. You are
the one that needs support. You won't find it. And you will
find very few references to milk as an antidote from anyone
except people like me who have a lot of experience with this.
For some reason, you don't want to hear it. You have your
opinion and you are sticking to it.

You can appologize any time you want.

If you are saying that this is all a misunderstanding and that
you totally agree with me, then I apologize.

What you may not realize (and I just noticed that this may be
the case) is that by drinking milk after exposure, you can
avoid being sick at all. That has been my experience.
Perhaps you believed that drinking milk will lessen the
effects. That is not the case. Drinking milk during and
after exposure absorbs the metals in your system (according to
some theories) and keeps you from feeling any symptoms
whatsoever. Once they start, though, there isn't anything
that will make them stop. Maybe milk shortens the time that
you think you are dying, but who cares? I would rather not
feel like I am dying at all. So I do what works. You can do
what you want.

I have sat with many young kids that thought this was all
bull**** and given them aspirin and told them it would all be
OK in a while. I have taken many to the ER. From then on,
they drank milk and got a lot more careful.

I think that the ones in here that may be watching this thread
have already gotten the message. I just wanted to make sure
about that before I bow out of this argument. I have had it
many times before and I have been proven right by many people
that did not want to listen. They learned the hard way. Some
people will listen to experience, some won't. They just want
to be right. I even had one guy tell me that I should have
FORCED him to drink milk! What I should have done is fire him
for not taking the proper precautions.

Everyone is free to test the theories. I suggest you try it
both ways and then get back to me. I already have. Numerous
times.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.