Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Finish cuts: how lite?

John Martin wrote:
On Aug 10, 11:06 am, Metalcutter wrote:

On Aug 10, 4:41 am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

He also said climb accross, conventional back. One: this gives you an
automatic finish pass.

You sure of that sequence? I've found that the reverse is usually
preferable.

You typically get better finishes from a light climb cut than from a
light conventional cut. With a conventional cut, the chip goes from
thin to thick, and the cutter may skid on the surface until there is
enough pressure and depth to get it to start taking a chip. With a
climb cut, the chip goes from thick to thin, and the cutter is cutting
from the start.

Yes, I agree completely. I do as much climb milling as
possible, now that I have a pretty rigid CNC machine with
ballscrews. I get better tool life and much smoother finish.
I used to always finish with a climb cut on my manual machine as
it gave a better finish, and a light climb cut would not cause
the table to jump toward the work.

Jon