Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] wfhabicher@hotmail.com is offline

Default Need advice on metal cutting tool....

On Aug 12, 7:53 pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
"Jman" wrote in message

ups.com...

In any event, I've been attempting to do some similar work small
shapes and images of animals, utensils and such and it's
been.....well, a disaster ! I've been able to do much of the work
with very light gauge material and a good pair of snips, but that just
won't work with the heavier stuff. So basically I need a cutting tool
that's going to be able to cut everything from a 3 inch crescent
shape, to something as big as a handprint.

- I'm not producing this 'en masse' so no production facility in the
near future.

- My budget is around $1500.00 US dollars.

Thanks again,

I would talk to a water jet shop. If you can give them a drawing on a disk
they can download this to the machine and cut just about any shape or
material you want.

Since you only have a few pieces to do and you have $1,500 to spend you
could pay them to do the cutting, and save the bulk of that amount for a
tool that you would use often.

--
Roger Shoaf

Old kitchen counters make marvellous backing boards for cutting sheet
metal with a bandsaw.

Simply stick the sheet metal onto the particle board with carpet tape
and then cut it on a regular metal cutting bandsaw with say a 16 pitch
or 14 pitch blade.

Especially if you do not do much sheet metal work this method is very
useful. Remember to peel the work off right away or you may have
difficulty removing the work. An alternative would be to glue the
sheet metal onto the board with shellac or any heat-softening glue.

Wolfgang