Ken Davey

Default Variable drive idea

Don Bruder wrote:
In article ,
Trevor Jones wrote:

Wanna baffle a lot of people? Drop a rare earth magnet down a piece
of aluminum pipe. Have them explain to you why it drops the way it
does.

OK, having seen this type of mention twice in this thread now, and
lacking the ability to perform the "experiment" (Got some HDD magnets,
but apparently nothing suitable to drop them down - they just slid
down the aluminum flashing I tried. Big fat hairy deal...) I gotta
know:

What happens? (Not the physics, electrical theory, etc, just the
physical "What am I supposed to see when I do it?")

Get a magnet 'set' out of an old hard drive - the type that has two magnets
in a holder with a gap between the two.
Saddle this assembly over the edge of an aliminum plate (an aluminum framing
square is perfect for this).
By hand, move the magnets rapidly along the aluminum.
You will be able to feel the resistance.
Regards.
Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar