Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Door Knob for extra thick gate

wrote:
I have a gate that is framed with 4x4's. I want to put a doorknob in
it but am having trouble finding doorknobs that fit doors over 2"
thick. Does anyone know where I can find exterior door knobs for 3.5"
thick doors?

For a standard lockset, no; don't think you'll find any.

You could look for gate hardware and probably find something in a latch
that might have that reach, but over 3" is pretty long even there...

Two choices -- as someone else said start w/ a regular lockset and make
the longer rod. All you need is some square stock and a die to thread
the ends for the knobs if you select carefully. Most could be adapted
to screw onto the surface from both sides if the high-security of no
fasteners on one side isn't needed. Otherwise, you'll need to
substitute for the through hardware as well.

Alternatively, make a "landing" area for the lockset that is thinner to
handle the lockset of choice.