Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default Lead Pipe won't give...

Clark wrote:

Robert Allison wrote in
newsPwvi.407$jU4.134@trnddc02:

Clark wrote:

Robert Allison wrote in news:cmwvi.399$jU4.158
@trnddc02:

Clark wrote:

Robert Allison wrote in
news:NNrvi.362$jU4.265 @trnddc02:

Here is a bit more safety info on this condition for those
that may be torch cutting or welding galvanized metal:

http://hazmap.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/ha...Diseases&id=69

You may notice that no mention is made about milk. That is
because it is NOT considered a valid treatment. Milk works
great if you drink it before ingesting fumes. The half gallon
that I drank after the fact had no effect whatsoever and I had
symptoms for 24 hours after exposure.

No treatments at all are mentioned at that link so I'm not suprised
that milk isn't there. Since the typical zinc poisoning lasts much
longer

than

24 hours perhaps the milk did do some good? The welders I worked with
believed in milk.

I know that you will believe what you want. I will do the same. As

usual,

the truth is almost always somewhere in the middle.

You may believe what you will. For the others in here that
may have the occasion to cut (with a torch), burn or weld on
galvanized metal, it would be in their interest to NOT believe
as you do. They may get sick.

Sheesh.How is that? I suggested avoiding any fumes at all. You are the
one who said small exposure is ok. I am the one who suggested the
safest course.
[snip]

I don't like to see info that may make people sick when they
don't have to be.

I don't either. That's why my original suggestion was to avoid funes
entirely. Perhaps in your need to be correct you've failed to note that
fact.

I don't feel the need to be correct, I am correct. You should
avoid fumes if you can. Sometimes, you can't. What then?

Then you wear an respirator approved for zinc exposure. That's not so hard
now is it? Yup the respirator is a little uncomfortable but it is better
than the poisoning yourself.

Look Robert, you said if people did what I said they would get sick. That
is clearly a false statement. In other words Robert, you are clearly
incorrect about what I said and any harmful effects of following my advise.
If you wish to misconstrue things that is your business but I will expose
your false statements. Got it?

Which one of my statements is false? If you wait to drink
milk until symptoms are present, you are already sick,
correct? Even if your theory (which I have seen proved wrong
in the real world) were correct, waiting to drink milk until
you are sick, by definition means that you are already sick.
If you advocate doing that, then your advice is going to make
people sick, needlessly.

Do you stand by your recommendation to wait until symptoms
appear before drinking milk IF you are exposed to fumes?

Perhaps YOUR need to be correct is overpowering your cognitive
abilities.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.