Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default Best way to saw 4x4 posts?

"Swingman" wrote in
:

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 17:11:01 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

In the old days I could _precisely_ set the height of a fence post by
the surgical application of a post hole digger and one half of a pair
of Sears Roebuck brogans.

... dig a little deeper than necessary, then kick in an appropriate
amount
of dirt.

If you want a 6' fencepost, well sure. But if you want say a 4' post,
digging 4'+ down to backfill 3 " seems a little...tiring.

Really now? Anyone who needs 4' posts and is too damn stupid to buy 8
footers and cut 'em in half deserves to be tired.

Are you just sitting these things on the ground? You'd need 10' cut in
half to give you ANY support from IN the ground.

Puckdropper