Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Wise to make your own receiver hitch?

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 11:13:02 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 12:10:20 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Is it wise to make up ones own receiver hitch, from a liability
standpoint?

I've built my own on the last four pickups and last three cars. I'm sure
mine are a bit heavier cause I look at what can be purchased and then use
the same design ideas but with stronger steel sections.

I justify all my machine purchases with SWMBO by pointing out how all the
stuff like this has been self fabricated and is better and cheaper.

Karl

P.S. I'm sure we'll get somebody that says its way to dangerous to make your
own.

Im waiting with bated breath for the flames and referances to a spare
tire carrier....cringe....

Ayup, I was just thinking about the welding liability for you. bseg

(You're probably a whole lot better than I am by now.)

--
The ancient and curious thing called religion, as it shows itself in the
modern world, is often so overladen with excrescences and irrelevancies