Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Byrns Carl Byrns is offline

Default Wise to make your own receiver hitch?

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
Been driving the new (to me) Ford Ranger. Runs great, gets between
19-21mpg over 4 tankfuls of fuel.

Factory bumper is rated 2000lb gross trailer, so I think it would be
nice to have a receiver hitch. Bolted to the frame. Never did like
using the bumper on the old truck, but it was built heavier than the
current truck. (94 Rangers are built stouter than the ones after '98
IMHO.....this truck...they took all the stuff that didnt wear out and
made it thinner, lighter or out of plastic)

Is it wise to make up ones own receiver hitch, from a liability
standpoint?

Gunner

Why build it when U-Haul sells them so cheap? Draw-Tite with a lifetime
warranty. Buy it OTC, bolt it on in hour. Ford already did the wiring for
you- there should be a flat plug taped into the harness near the center of
the rear bumper.

-Carl
--
The future isn't what it used to be.