Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon William Wixon is offline

Default Wise to make your own receiver hitch?

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
Is it wise to make up ones own receiver hitch, from a liability
standpoint?

I've built my own on the last four pickups and last three cars. I'm sure
mine are a bit heavier cause I look at what can be purchased and then use
the same design ideas but with stronger steel sections.

I justify all my machine purchases with SWMBO by pointing out how all the
stuff like this has been self fabricated and is better and cheaper.

Karl

P.S. I'm sure we'll get somebody that says its way to dangerous to make
your own.

that's something! what a coincidence. i'm in the process right now of
making a set of tow brackets (goes on the front of the vehicle for towing
behind a RV, but that's not the intended use, planning on using them for a
ladder rack "receiver"). i'm building them strong enough so that someday if
necessary they could be used as tow brackets. went to an on-line
manufacturer and looked at his design, "copying" them. they used what
appears to be 3/8" or maybe even 1/2" plate (but the tech on the phone said
5/16") i'm using 1/4" but welding on reinforcing flanges. thing is i don't
know what alloy of steel they use, i'm using some plain old plate i got from
my local steel dealer. i'm hoping they overbuilt their design by using
5/16" to ward off lawsuits and that 1/4" will be sufficient.

b.w.