Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unswitched neutral for timer switches

In article . com,
Richard Russell writes:
Anyway, that's water under the bridge and both lights work very well
under control of the timers. We are now contemplating moving house,
to a new build, and I'm wondering about asking the builders to provide
a feed of unswitched neutral to nominated light switches. I presume
that's still not standard? Assuming that to be the case is it a
reasonable request to make? What would be an appropriate choice of
cable(s) and colours for this application?

As I gradually rewired lighting circuit over a 20 year period
(whilst I was redecorating the relevant areas, but also with a
view to putting in home automation), I ran triple and earth to
almost every point (switch or lamp). They are all run back to
a wiring centre (a gutted CU). This made it trivial to change
the way switching worked, replace a single with a double switch,
or if I'd needed to, feed a neutral to a switch. When I did put
in the HA about 6 years ago, it was a trivial excersise
interfacing it to the wiring centre.

--
Andrew Gabriel