Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Russell Richard Russell is offline

Default Unswitched neutral for timer switches

I've fitted two timer switches (the sort that replace a switchplate)
and modified both of them in order to be able to feed compact
fluorescent lamps (precisely how I did that is another story!).
However, in the process I needed access to unswitched neutral in
addition to unswitched and switched live.

In the case of one switch (feeding an outdoor porch light) I was
fortunate, since the neutral was already routed through the wall box.
In the other case (a landing light) I had to 'borrow' a connection
from a switchplate on the other side of the partition wall,
fortunately almost immediately adjacent. I realise that's not ideal,
but it was expedient.

Anyway, that's water under the bridge and both lights work very well
under control of the timers. We are now contemplating moving house,
to a new build, and I'm wondering about asking the builders to provide
a feed of unswitched neutral to nominated light switches. I presume
that's still not standard? Assuming that to be the case is it a
reasonable request to make? What would be an appropriate choice of
cable(s) and colours for this application?

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
To reply by email change 'news' to my forename.