Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Gary is offline

Default Unfrozen Toilet tank bolts

"mm" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:08:54 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

Anybody know why apparently no nylon tank bolt attachment hardware?

My guess is that they snap or rip after a while.

If this happens with the toilet seat, just make sure you don't flush
yourself down.

Second issue: I'm cleaning up the bolt threads in a wire wheel in the
drill press. All nice and clean now. Really interesting aglommeration
of green, blue,
white and all shades in between of corrosion and crud now gone. It was
concentrated
where the nut was on the bolt, and below the nut.

Any thoughts on a lube or thread proctectant for the
bolt threads before reassembling things so I don't run into this issue
again?

(Yeah, I know, if its another 37 years on this specific toilet, it will
be someone elses problem, not mine.)

When doing repairs, I care about others almost as much as myself. I
would say the reason not to worry is it's only once every 37 years.
If you need to remove the toilet in 20 years, it won't be as hard as
it was this time.

Reading other answers: I've only replaced one toilet. Another guy
took it off in one piece and I put it back on in one piece. It wasn't
hard. I think I only lifted it at one end, probably leaving the front
edge on the floor.

(I also didn't replace the wax ring, because it disgusted me and I was
doing her a favor. The house and toilet were almost new, less than a
year. I saw her for another 6 months and it didn't give any problems
in that time.

But is there a reason not to use a simple lube like white lithium grease
or even
vaseline on the brass threads on the bolt and inside the nut?

The bolts might come off when you don't want them too? Just a guess.

Thanks.

I have never heard of anyone reusing the flange bolts New ones come with
most wax rings