Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Sitting at the lathe.

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 15:07:18 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

In church, some of us kneel to pray, sit to learn and stand to praise
and for some, salvaging nature's trees can be a sort of religious
experience. Whatever, now all of us can sit and stand at the lathe. Two
out of three ain't bad. Actually, we do kneel to search for lost chuck
keys.

The Oneway 'sitting down" lathe has likely been considered ad nauseum on
other forums, but not here. We have however, discussed lathes for the
disabled on many past threads. The Oneway picture won't stay still long
enough for me to visualize it and think about it, but maybe my cognitive
challenge is a variation on Yogi's tv ad:
"If I don't have it, that's why I need it". Anyway, sitting down to
turn might have advantages for many of us who actually can stand at the
lathe.

Other than being able to sit, are there any advantages to mounting a
traditional lathe sideways? As I look at that jumping picture, I think
sideways removes one bed rail from in front of the turner, but I'm not
sure it does or if it helps. Have any of you mounted a regular bed
lathe sideways?

What do you mean by "sideways"? If it's what I think you mean, where
the ways would be behind the work rather than underneith it, I could
see little benefit when compared to the risks it would entail.

While it may not matter as much if a guy was completely paralized and
couldn't feel it, I can't think of anything great that might come of a
spinning hunk of wood falling out of the lathe, and landing on your
knees. Like anything, there may be a case where the benefit outweighs
that risk, but I would think that for the average turner, there's not
much of a real advantage to be gained.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you've described...